Best vegetables are grown during winter. These vegetables should be included in our daily diet to get the maximum nutritional benefit out of it. All the vegetables contain micro nutrients, that is, vitamins and minerals. These vitamins and minerals are required by our body at the right amounts. Hence choosing the seasonal vegetables in the right quantity is the best option. All these vegetables have health benefits if consumed regularly. Some of which are discussed below :
1. Cauliflower : It is a cruciferous vegetable that is naturally high in fiber and B-vitamins. It provides antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. It also contains fiber to enhance weight loss and digestion, choline that is essential for learning and memory, and many other important nutrients.
2. Bell Pepper : Red, Orange, and Yellow Bell Peppers are full of great health benefits—they’re packed with vitamins and low in calories! They are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. Bell Peppers also contain a healthy dose of fiber, folate, and iron.
3. Spinach : Spinach is rich in vitamins A, C and K, magnesium, iron and manganese. Eating this leafy green veggie may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress and reduce blood pressure levels among other health functions.
4. Fenugreek : Fenugreek has benefits for lowering blood sugar levels, boosting testosterone, and increasing milk production in breastfeeding mothers. Fenugreek may also reduce cholesterol levels, lower inflammation, and help with appetite control, but more research is needed in these areas.
5. Green Peas : Green peas contain a decent amount of heart-healthy minerals, such as magnesium, potassium and calcium. Diets high in these nutrients may be helpful for preventing high blood pressure, which is a major risk factor for heart disease.
6. Carrot : Carrots are a particularly good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. They also have a number of health benefits. They’re a weight-loss-friendly food and have been linked to lower cholesterol levels and improved eye health
Let’s make use of all these fresh and healthy winter vegetables and make winter special dish “Undhiyu”. It is a Gujarati mixed vegetable dish that is a regional speciality of Surat. Traditionally it is cooked in earthern pot. It has immense health benefits and a great source of micro nutrients.